Saturday, July 9, 2011

Life and Love - They're intertwined

My last blog post about my enemy, the Sun, obtained many a praise from members of my family. (Sidenote: The sun won again when I went to the beach last week. Sun -2 Jordan -0)

I'm really close to my family (including extended family) and they are all very proud of me and I am extremely thankful for them and all of their support. But, in addition to my family's grandiose praise, I also received an abundance of compliments from people I had just met... because apparently a few of my proud family members have been sharing with people. (They were all very sweet and awesome, by the way, including the maid of honor at my cousin's wedding, who I need to track down somehow because she was REALLY nice and according to others is a lot like me, which automatically makes her cool. Plus she talked Harry Potter with me. Bonus! ...Anyway, I digress).

And all of this is super flattering. I didn't think I was THAT funny. The problem now is, I now feel a heavy anvil of pressure to be super impressive and funny all the time and pressure is not conducive to comedy. You can't force funny. It only makes you look like an idiot who tries too hard. Nobody wants to be friends with that guy.

So this time, to the dismay of those waiting for a comedic relief to their day, I've decided to write a more serious post because I've been completely inspired by my recent life to be super sentimental and insightful.

In the last ten-ish days, I've gotten to hold my best friend's 3 month old niece for the first time, attend a wedding, witness new love, attend a funeral, in addition to a birthday party for a friend from middle school. And being a part of all these levels of life has astounded me in a way that I can't even describe, and, honestly, I have no idea why I'm trying to in this post. The truth is, I've made a dent in discovering for myself what life is all about. And that is love.

Without love, we have no life. It is with love that the beautiful baby Gabby smiles at her aunt Kimberly. It is with love that Kim cares for her brother's baby as much as she does. It was love that brought us together to watch Michelle and Chris share their love with the world as they exchanged vows at their beautiful wedding. It's with love that I've been close to people and stayed in touch since middle school and are celebrating another birthday together, even though we all live in different states now. And it is with love that Helen left this world, leaving those who loved her in return to come together and celebrate her amazing and long life.

Stages of life like these would not be possible without the love of the people we share it with. Something was said at the church today that really resonated with me. It was that we as humans mourn and feel things such as pain and heartbreak, and it hurts. But it also means that you have loved somebody enough to feel that pain. If you have no heartbreak, it means you are deprived of this love. And even though it hurts like hell, you should feel good somewhere deep inside knowing that you are human, and are blessed with the capability to feel. Really feel something for another person. Whether that person is a family member, a lover, or a friend, you should feel accomplished in life knowing that you have cared for somebody and that they have cared for you.

It is with this that I vow to love as many people as I can, while living life to it's fullest, because you never know when you will be the one people are watching as you get lowered into the ground. And even though it will make me extremely vulnerable, and leaves me wide open to heartbreak, I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all. All the while knowing as much pain as I feel at that particular time, I felt 10 times more bliss prior. And I intend to take more notice of that bliss, because it's something that is too often overlooked.

To my friend's baby niece Gabby, good luck in everything you do. You have the whole world ahead of you.
Rest in Peace Helen, I'm sorry I didn't get to know you longer, but from the sounds of things, you lived a pretty amazing life.
Congratulations to Michelle and Chris, I wish you a lifetime of happiness and love.
Happy Birthday Claire, and many more to come ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment